[jboss-as7-dev] Breakup quickstarts into separate repos?

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 06:49:57 EDT 2012

Adding Scott and jboss-as7-deb at lists.jboss.org.

No, I'm not on the jboss as internal list, not sure why we need to discuss it there?

This has come up a couple of times recently. The main issue I see is that this will result in around 80-100 git repositories, and a lot of scripting to create coordinated releases. It sounds like an admin and contribution nightmare to me.

I've thought about the problem Scott raises, and the best solution I've come up with so far is copy and paste:

git clone git://github.com/jbossas/quickstart.git ../quickstaets
cp -r ../quickstart/kitchensink/* .
git add src pom.xml
git push

which is only one more command.

We can also use a subtree merge (which is what you need to look at Scott, not submodules), but I feel this is much more complex to advise to users, as it involves explaining what a subtree merge is, over everyone knowing what a copy and paste is.