[jboss-as7-dev] JVM settings in domain mode

Wolf-Dieter Fink wfink at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 08:58:32 EDT 2012

The adminGuide is:
====================================

      JVM

The host controller contains the main jvm definitions with arguments:

|<jvms>|
|||<jvm name=||"default"||>|
|||<heap size=||"64m"| |max-size=||"128m"||/>|
|||</jvm>|
|</jvms>|

_(See domain/configuration/host.xml)
 From the preceeding examples we can see that we also had a jvm
reference at server group level in the domain controller. The jvm's name
*must* match one of the definitions in the host controller. The values
supplied at domain controller and host controller level are combined,
with the host controller taking precedence if the same parameter is
given in both places.

Finally, as seen, we can also override the jvm at server level. Again,
the jvm's name *must* match one of the definitions in the host
controller. The values are combined with the ones coming in from domain
controller and host controller level, this time the server definition
takes precedence if the same parameter is given in all places.

==== But the facts are ===============================

1. the name MUST NOT match to host.xml <jvms><jvm name=""> definition
neither in server-group nor server
2. The host controller <jvms> definition will be overwritten  by
server-group (not as described)
3. Q: if no jvm is set by SG and S the default will be 64-256
PermGen=128-128  where the defaults from? I expect value not set in java
command.
4. Q: if only one value is given (e.g. Host(xms=128 xmx=256)
Server=(xmx=512)) this value is overwritten)

So is 1. and 2. a bug or the new behaviour?
If this is a new behaviour the results of mixing jvm params might be
unexpected if the names dosn't match.

So can someone clarify what is the 'correct' way

I've tested with AS7.1.2.Final-SNAPSHOT today

- Wolf