[jboss-as7-dev] Questions on connecting to as71 via jmx

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 08:34:11 EDT 2012

The situation you describe for the server not running sounds to be a
bug, please raise a Jira under the following project with the full
thread dumps you have and I will arrange for that to be fixed: -

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/REMJMX

Beyond that the port number you have is incorrect, assuming this is
standalone the connection should be over the management port so port 9999.

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.

On 03/22/2012 10:27 AM, Rob Stryker wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> We in JBossTools have a feature for jmx and would like to extend it's
> jmx support to as71, but it seems not to be working in my most simple
> main class example.   I've found links on using jconsole, but no links
> for raw clients.  I do remember that AS3-6 required loading some custom
> classes, and setting a principal and a credential.
>
> So far, I add the following to the classpath of a new plain old java
> project:
>     jboss-logging-3.1.0.GA.jar
>     jboss-marshalling-1.3.9.GA.jar
>     jboss-marshalling-river-1.3.9.GA.jar
>     jboss-remoting-3.2.2.GA.jar
>     jboss-sasl-1.0.0.Final.jar
>     remoting-jmx-1.0.0.Final.jar
>     xnio-api-3.0.3.GA.jar
>     xnio-nio-3.0.3.GA.jar
>
> Then I write the following main method:
>           try {
>               String url = "service:jmx:remoting-jmx://localhost:1090";
>               Map<String, String[]>  environment = new HashMap<String,
> String[]>();
>               JMXConnector connector = JMXConnectorFactory.connect(new
> JMXServiceURL(url), environment);
>               MBeanServerConnection connection =
> connector.getMBeanServerConnection();
>               Set beanInfo = connection.queryNames(new ObjectName("*:*"),
> null); //$NON-NLS-1$
>           } catch( Exception e ) {
>               e.printStackTrace();
>           }
>

> If the server is not running, the result is the program never closes.
> There are three threads, two of which are remoting endpoints, and a
> DestroyJavaVM Thread. Exception is as follows:
>
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Operation failed with status WAITING
>       at
> org.jboss.remoting3.jmx.RemotingConnector.connect(RemotingConnector.java:155)
>       at
> javax.management.remote.JMXConnectorFactory.connect(JMXConnectorFactory.java:248)
>       at MyMain.main(MyMain.java:17)
>
> How do I properly recognize this "RuntimeException"? Is there some
> superclass I can catch, or is this it? Finally, how do I properly clean
> up the connections to ensure those threads disappear?
>
> If the server *is* running, launched via standalone.xml,  the result is
> identical.
>
> Does the default as71 come with JMX enabled and exposed? If not, what
> needs to be done to expose it?
>
> Thanks again
>
> - Rob Stryker

Darran Lofthouse - Principal Software Engineer

Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark Hegarty (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)