[jboss-as7-dev] Characters not echoing back to terminal after running AS7 testsuite

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed May 2 17:24:27 EDT 2012

On 5/2/12 2:59 PM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
> On 05/02/2012 07:19 PM, Brian Stansberry wrote:
>> On 5/2/12 10:47 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>>> I'll continue looking into minimizing and removing the CLIWrapper in
>>> favour of the CLI public API.
>>>

>> Good. We need to rationalize things in the testsuite a bit. E.g. once we
>> adequately test that the CLI public API provides the same input to and
>> output from the core CLI as reading/writing from a separate process'
>> stdio does, there no need for other tests to use a separate CLI process.
>
> There is no duplication of parsing or DMR composition code, it's the
> same code that is used internally and now exposed through the public api.

Yep.

>> Similarly, if we establish that the CLI parses strings representing
>> low-level ops into a proper ModelNode structure for use in the native
>> management API, then there's no need to test a bunch of low level ops
>> using both the native management API and the CLI. Prove in some tests
>> that both mechanisms work in general, and then if the real goal of a
>> test is to test server side behavior of a particular op (e.g. a
>> datasource add), pick either the CLI public API or a native management
>> op to test that, not both.
>
> The tests are already there.

Yes, I knew that. ;)

I wasn't trying to lay out a set of steps we need to take, do A then B,
then we can do C. I just want to state publicly that if A and B are
adequately tested, there's no reason to incur major overhead to test
them again in a of tests of C, D, E, ..Z. So people will understand why
things are changing when we change them.

BTW, I want to be clear that the CLI public API is fairly new, so what
I'm talking about here is taking advantage of something new to improve
things. I'm not complaining about how things were done in the past.