[jboss-as7-dev] cli terminal changes

Galder Zamarreño galder at redhat.com
Wed May 9 08:08:34 EDT 2012

On May 9, 2012, at 1:37 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> On May 7, 2012, at 8:18 AM, Alexey Loubyansky wrote:
>
>> I'd like to let everybody know that thanks to Stale's efforts we are
>> switching from jline to Stale's jreadline project as the base
>> console/terminal for the CLI.
>>
>> jline has a number of bugs that we can't do anything about. jreadline
>> has fixed those and Stale is happy to continue improving things.
>>
>> Of course, a few changes will come along with the switch. They are
>>
>> - the ordering of columns are different compared to jline, jreadline
>> does it similar to bash;
>> - tab-completion is more like bash, i.e. if there are 'file' and
>> 'file2', completing 'f' will result in 'file' w/o showing 'file2'
>
> Hmmmm, can I suggest something here? I can't remember of the top of my head if JBoss CLI works like this, and I'm not that the above statement matches my suggestion:
>
> One thing I love of tab completion in zsh (as opposed to bash) is the following: Imagine that as you say you have both 'file' and 'file2'
>
> The first time I do: f + tab, it will show: file
>
> But if I click tab again, so: f + tab + tab, it will give me: file2
>
> If there was a file3, doing: f + tab + tab + tab will give me: file3
>
> …etc
>
> IIRC, with bash, you had to actually	type 2 to be to get to file2.
>
> Does people find zsh style tab completion more useful too?

Actually, let me be even more precise here:

more + f + tab:
[g@:~/Varia]% more file

more + f + tab + tab:
[g@:~/Varia]% more file
file   file2  file3

more + f + tab + tab + tab:
[g@:~/Varia]% more file2
file   file2  file3

more + f + tab + tab + tab + tab:
[g@:~/Varia]% more file3
file   file2  file3

Essentially, you don't need to type '2' or '3'…etc.

There are some other goodies, such as '*' extension:

more + file + *:
[g@:~/Varia]% more file*

If after * you know do tab, if expands into:
[g@:~/Varia]% more file file2 file3

There are more goodies, as explained in http://www.jukie.net/bart/blog/zsh-tab-completion, but, IMO, the two are above are far superior than bash.

Others might have other opinions...

>> candidate (like jline would do) unless the tab key is pressed after 'file';
>> - there are no more files that are read to enable key bindings. By
>> default emacs-mode is enabled, but vi-mode is also supported. jreadline
>> has more keybindings compared to jline and also follows what's default
>> in bash;
>> - atm reading the ~/.inputrc is not enabled, but we could enable if
>> necessary. If people have defined vi-mode, it will catch it and enable
>> vi-mode by default;
>> - undo and redo is another new feature afaik.
>>
>> In the future it will also be possible to customize different bindings
>> to different actions in that file, but its not supported now.
>>
>> Here are a couple of major issues that'll be fixed with the switch:
>> - to be able to navigate and edit commands that spread across multiple
>> lines (AS7-2615 Backspace doesn't work over linebreaks);
>> - AS7-2436 clear screen doesn't work on windows 7.
>>

>> The pull request hasn't been sent yet. It's just a warning that this is
>> coming.
>>
>> Please, let us know if you have any concerns about this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alexey

> Galder Zamarreño
> Sr. Software Engineer