[jboss-as7-dev] Web console vs. CLI vs. CLI GUI

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Fri May 18 10:01:52 EDT 2012

Thanks for the explanation Stan. The web console uses a different paradigm then the other tools, and it does so on purpose. The result of what you describe would basically build on the "tree" paradigm and more or less expose the management functionality like the CLI and it's bigger cousin do. But it targets different persona and thus other needs.

The console provides an interim information layer, that provides alternate conceptual views, that go beyond "trees". The biggest difference towards the other tools is that it tries to facilitate understanding of the underlying model.

This includes arrangement, grouping and exposure of the underlying information aligned with the users tasks. You think of it too much in technical terms. Your approach is a valid one for people that can be considered "power users". Users that know the model. For them a "tree" paradigm work works well.

The CLI GUI is a hybrid, but only serves former CLI users well. For them it might be an enhancement. But it's not serving the needs of the less experienced developer or administrator.

A good comparison would probably be a data management tool. You can provide direct SQL access to the data or some web based interface that's much closer to business domain. The AS7 web console would be the later.

>From my experience, people perceive the web interface as being simple and easy to get started. But designing for "simple" isn't easy. And it comes at a certain price. In our case we did sacrifice development time for user experience.

Long story short: The management tools serve different audiences. Each audience brings their own experience, knowledge and skills. Building the web console on same paradigms the CLI tools would eliminate the for having it in the first place.

/Heiko