[jboss-as7-dev] Modularity is the spawn of Lucifer and a stinking donkey

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon May 21 18:40:37 EDT 2012

Hey all, just to tie this up with a bow I wanted to send my take away
from the discussions we had on IRC and make sure everyone had the same
take away.  Jason and David, wanted to thank you guys again for your
time and input.  It really helped out.  I also went ahead and
copied/pasted the transcript so we had record of discussion.

The basic idea is to control this via a specific deployment descriptor
(jboss-hibernate.xml or somesuch).  It would, in the general case,
provide 2 pieces of information:
1) Which Hibernate version are we talking about.  This is a very
high-level concept of version, mainly 3 or 4.
2) Which "modules" do you want included.  OGM?  Envers?  Etc.  It won't
name modules per-se in terms of AS modules.  But more what Hibernate
integrations do you want included.  We will also allow for custom AS
modules to be named here, since they could also be "Hibernate
integrations" (provide service loader locatable impls of Integrator).
Additionally, the inclusion of a module here will export the classes
from the corresponding AS module into the app classloader.

To account for app deployments that contain Hibernate jars, the
suggestion was to allow a flag in this deployment descriptor to disable
the inclusion of AS provided Hibernate modules/jars.  This could also
be leveraged to, for example, bundle an alternate JPA provider.

There is still some gray area around what to do when the app deployment
contains Hibernate jars but has no deployment descriptor.  Its kind of
a 50/50 proposition and seems like there is not a good solution.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org