[jboss-as7-dev] Web console vs. CLI vs. CLI GUI: Moving forward

Heiko Braun hbraun at redhat.com
Tue May 22 09:25:16 EDT 2012

Thanks for everybody's input and suggestions so far. Moving forward I think it's important to agree on a general strategy how we want the different tools to evolve. I think we agree that the CLI GUI functionality has it's benefits and is useful to certain types of users.

I've asked this question in the past and I am still wondering about it: Why do we need a third, disparate tool on it's own to provide this functionality? Technically I don't see a reason why it cannot be provided by the web interface. I don't see the added value either: not from a usability point of view, or by looking at the potential target groups.

But I can see how the generic approach provided by the CLI UI perfectly fits within the planned  web interface improvements (keywords are: task based, customizable, expert mode, etc). However  the fact that it's an isolated piece of work basically prevents these tools from building upon each other.

I think before we talk about any future improvements to any of these tools, we should clarify this question. Currently the users choice is switching one tool for the functionality of another. But this difference will disappear in the future.

Regards, Heiko