[jboss-as7-dev] Modularity is the spawn of Lucifer and a stinking donkey

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Tue May 22 10:14:49 EDT 2012

On 05/22/2012 09:10 AM, Scott Marlow wrote:

> On 05/21/2012 06:40 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>> Hey all, just to tie this up with a bow I wanted to send my take away
>> from the discussions we had on IRC and make sure everyone had the same
>> take away. Jason and David, wanted to thank you guys again for your time
>> and input. It really helped out. I also went ahead and copied/pasted the
>> transcript so we had record of discussion.
>>
>> The basic idea is to control this via a specific deployment descriptor
>> (jboss-hibernate.xml or somesuch).
>
> My understanding is that this jboss-hibernate.xml is an optional
> deployment descriptor that would be used by a deployment (EE or non-EE)
> that wants to use any of the following technologies:
>
> * Hibernate Search
> * Hibernate OGM
> * Hibernate Integrator module implementation
>
> The result of including a jboss-hibernate.xml, would be that the
> deployment includes the needed Hibernate modules (Hibernate
> Search/OGM/other custom modules).
>
> If there is no jboss-hibernate.xml, there would be no change from
> current AS behaviour (OGM could be packaged with the application but
> cannot be used as a module like other persistence providers).

It sounds like you're implying that a regular JavaEE application with no
JBoss-specific descriptors in it cannot use JPA.  Is this correct?

> This in effect will allow Hibernate ORM to use the application
> deployment as a composite module that also contains the Hibernate
> Search/OGM/Other Integrator module implementation(s).

That's fine assuming that we have JPA out of the box.

> This might require some Hibernate ORM changes or not (depending on
> whether its service loader searches in the TCCL currently). We can
> probably use the jboss-deployment-structure.xml as an alternative (short
> term solution) before we have this new Hibernate deployer that looks for
> the presence of the jboss-hibernate.xml file. I think more discussion is
> needed about the contents of jboss-hibernate.xml before we can implement
> that.

The rule could probably be, if there's a jboss-hibernate.xml then use
that to configure, else use TCCL.  That should work in most cases
(though it might break if they bundle certain combinations of JARs; this
should be tested).

--
- DML