[jboss-as7-dev] Modularity is the spawn of Lucifer and a stinking donkey

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed May 23 11:09:11 EDT 2012

On Wed 23 May 2012 09:59:35 AM CDT, Scott Marlow wrote:
> With this approach, Hibernate Search/OGM/Custom-Integrator will only
> work with Hibernate ORM 4.1.4 or later. As long as the SPI doesn't get
> broken in Hibernate 5.x/6.x/7.x/8.x, it might continue to work in
> additional future Hibernate versions also (assuming we keep the design
> in place that long).

There are a number of suggestions/approaches in discussion.  So when
you say "this approach", I have no idea which approach you are
referencing.  Thats why I try to name them :)

> The other option on the table, is having a very intimate AS7
> dependency on
> org.hibernate.service.internal.BootstrapServiceRegistryImpl class. If
> someone changes
> org.hibernate.service.internal.BootstrapServiceRegistryImpl in
> Hibernate 5.x, they won't even know that they broke the integration.
> Even if they don't change the class but do change the package name,
> that will break Hibernate running on AS7 (with
> Search/OGM/Custom-Integrator).

Well you are suggesting a "very intimate dependency" as well with the
SPI contract.  I am talking about bytecode manipulation that hooks into
instantiation of BootstrapServiceRegistryImpl.  Not sure what changes
can cause that to break other than moving packages which effects your
SPI contract approach as well.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org