[jboss-as7-dev] Netty upgrade for AS7

Jeff Mesnil jmesnil at redhat.com
Mon Oct 8 02:46:15 EDT 2012

On 10/06/2012 05:42 PM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> On Friday 05 October 2012 09:51 PM, Jeff Mesnil wrote:
>> On 10/05/2012 04:33 PM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>> This is not the first time a group ID has changed.  What you have to do is:
>>>
>>> 3. Replace the old dependency with the new one in all modules that
>>> require Netty directly or transitively.
>> Thanks for the help, David, I followed your advices to clean up the transitive dependencies and make sure we only depend on a
>> single Netty version[1]
>>

>> [1] https://github.com/jmesnil/jboss-as/commit/185402610b6e304af946274ff9bcc454dde55e43
>>
> I think we should rename the module too and then scan all the shipped
> module.xml files to update the module name to the new name (scanning the
> java code too would be a good idea for hardcoded module name, but I
> don't think we have any for the netty module). The org.jboss.netty
> module was already marked as "private" which means even if changing the
> module name to io.netty "breaks" applications which depend on it, it's
> reasonable to expect such applications to use the new module name or
> better yet package that library within their application.

I hesitated about this but I preferred to keep the module as it is.
This version of Netty remains compatible with the 3.x releases. The change of groupId has no repercussion on its API or usage.
It is transparent for modules depending on Netty. All modules depending on org.jboss.netty:main will continue to work.

However if the 4.x releases of Netty, they do change the packages (to io.netty) and breaks the API. My preference is to change
the Netty module name when we upgrade to a 4.x version instead.

There is no direct relation between a JBoss module names and the packages or mvn groupId. If they are different (as in this
case), I find more intuitive to have it mapped to the packages.

jeff

--
Jeff Mesnil
JBoss, a division of Red Hat