[jboss-as7-dev] Relaxing password requirements for add-user script?

Anil Saldhana Anil.Saldhana at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 09:35:28 EDT 2012

Darran,
   I have been thinking about the properties file strategy.  I support
your thinking. But I want to put forward some thoughts:

 From the LinkedIn password fiasco, the general industry philosophy is
that passwords that are just hashed are prone to dictionary/brute force
attacks, irrespective of how strong the password is. There is a
necessity to introduce a salt per password.
Introduction of a salt per password is just going to make the usability
aspects challenging with the properties file strategy.

We should consider the PicketLink IDM work for storing passwords. The
password management becomes a responsibility of the IDM framework.
Discussion on this framework is happening in the security-dev mailing list.

Regards,
Anil