[jboss-as7-dev] Subsystem specific deployer configurations in standalone.xml/domain.xml

Tomaž Cerar tomaz.cerar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:32:27 EDT 2012

Why are introducing yet another configuration mechanism for deployments?

now we have
- jboss-deployment-structure.xml
- jboss-deployment-dependencies.xml
- jboss-all.xml
- jboss-xyz.xml - (too) many of them

that in combination with overlays this could provide same capability.
AFAIR primary idea behind jboss-all.xml was to unify configuration for all
subsystems (get rid of all other jboss-cmp.xml, jboss-ejb3.xml,
jboss-app.xml,....)

and overlays just add this extra capability of exposing/manipulating this
trough management.
This new approach has only one extra capability that is to enable subsystem
itself to push/write/change some configuration that is deployment-wise.
>From my point of view that is just wrong. Subsystems should not run-time
decide and change some deployment parameters that you can than also
manipulate trough mgmt.

Maybe I am not seeing some use-case but in general I don't like this
approach...

--
tomaz