[jboss-as7-dev] rename jboss-cli.sh?

Alexey Loubyansky alexey.loubyansky at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 07:46:47 EDT 2012

On 08/31/2012 06:26 PM, Cheng Fang wrote:
> I've been playing with jboss as7 cli and like to share my experience.  I
> understand that in AS7-2310, it was renamed from jboss-admin.sh to
> jboss-cli.sh, so a second renaming seems disruptive, but anyway here it
> goes...
>
> First, can we remove the .sh file extension?  Tools like ant, mvn and
> groovy are all shell scripts but do not have the .sh extension. Users
> just need to execute it, without concerning if it is written as a shell
> script to binary.  Having the .sh extension limits ourselves in impl
> options.  On Windows we continue to have .bat, which is unavoidable, but
> users just need to run "jboss-cli" with .bat extension.

No objections from me.

> jboss-cli.sh is quite some typing for users, and the first TAB
> completion will not enough.  It takes 2 tabs to complete jboss-cli.sh
>
> Secondly, can we remove the -cli part to further simplify the name? It
> seems to be superfluous as many terminal commands are cli.  IMO, a name
> needs to reflect the purpose of the tool, rather than its form.  By
> having -cli in the name, we are again restricting it to be a cli tool.
> But didn't we have a GUI form that can be launched by 'jboss-cli.sh --gui'?

Removing -cli part would create more confusion, imo. The meaning behind
jboss-cli is "command-line interface [management tool] for jboss [server
or domain]". If it's just 'jboss' then I can imagine doubts "does it
start jboss, i.e. the server?" or something like that.
We could call it as-cli. Or if somebody has a better idea...

> I personally like the old name jboss-admin.sh better, except that it's
> too long.

Thanks,
Alexey