[jboss-as7-dev] Port conflict 8080 detection?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 13:52:54 EDT 2012

I agree that the way the AS is binding is appropriate, given the default
config.

As Jim Tyrell pointed out, there's a JIRA to quickly detect port
conflicts and fail gracefully. I always saw that as primarily being a
problem of dealing with the fact that it's the various projects we
integrate that open sockets, and they do that in their own various ways
deep in their internals. So having some central infrastructure in the AS
that can coordinate things nicely is not a simple task.

This thread broadens the question by opening up the issue of "what is a
port conflict"? Clearly the OS didn't regard this situation as a port
conflict. If "port conflict" doesn't just mean "can I bind the socket"
but also means "if a client tries to connect to my address:port will
something already respond" that too make conflict detection a not simple
task.

Some vaguely related JIRAs if anyone feels like reading more and
thinking about socket binding issues:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBPAPP-8383
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-5359
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-5360