[jboss-as7-dev] AS7-2267 - Console Logging DMR Commands

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 21:48:25 EST 2013

On 1/28/13 7:47 PM, Jess Sightler wrote:
> I'd like to take a stab at this issue, however, I have a couple of questions first:
>
> 1. The JIRA describes this as "logging DMR commands", however, I do not believe that the DMR commands would apply directly within the CLI. I believe that the syntaxes are different.
>    - Is this assumption correct?

Correct. The string representation of DMR is different from CLI syntax.

>    - Do we have a preexisting class to convert from the ModelNode operation to a CLI command? If not, nothing immediately jumps out at me that would make this extremely hard, but I don't want to duplicate existing work.

Not that I'm aware of and I'd be surprised if such a thing exists in any
reasonably complete form. The standard use case goes the other direction.

> 2. I don't necessarily agree with the proposed approach in the JIRA. I think it may be easier to append this information to the status result after an operation has completed. For example, after the user saves a property, a "Save successful" message appears. I believe this is clickable to show details, and we could display the CLI commands to rerun the action within that dialog.
>
> Is that an acceptable way to accomplish this task? Or is there some other preferred approach to implementing this in the UI?

I'll defer to Heiko Braun on UI details. :) My only comment is this
needs to be unobtrusive since it's extraneous to the core task users are
trying to accomplish. What you describe sound unobtrusive.

One thing to keep in mind with this is raw DMR operations can be
converted readily enough into CLI low-level command syntax. But CLI low
level commands may not be the recommended approach for achieving many
tasks. The CLI now has quite a number of high level commands (e.g.
"deploy") that are more user friendly. I wouldn't support any attempt to
map console-generated operations to those high level commands, as that
would be a likely bug nest and a maintenance nightmare.

The one exception to this is the DMR "composite" operation[1] should be
converted to the CLI "batch" and "run-batch" high level commands, with
each step in the composite being a low-level command after "batch" and
before "run-batch".

[1] See "Composite Operations" on
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS72/The+native+management+API