[jboss-as7-dev] modules backed by a repo part 2

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Mon Mar 11 08:47:41 EDT 2013

On Mar 1, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com> wrote:

> 1) Anybody know why jboss-seam-int-jbossas is copied directly into a
> bundle/ directory of its module?  And doesn't use <module-def> in the
> build script?
>
> 2) After you'd convert all modules to reference a maven artifact,
> there's still the bundles and client jars left.  28.7M.  OSGi isn't
> enabled by default right?  So these bundles aren't needed unless you're
> doing OSGi?
>
> 3) How could our OSGi bundles be supported in this maven repo model?  Is
> it JBoss OSGi that locates and loads the bundles?

The OSGi bundles that you see in the 'bundles' directory are referenced as initial capabilities that provision the OSGi subsystem on startup. Internally, the provisioning goes through OSGi Repository service, which prefers local file access (i.e. those bundles) but would also understand Maven coordinates. Every bundle capability definition using a module id can be replaced with a definition that uses maven coordinates.

There is an outstanding task  about populating the repository with capacities/requirements from the 'modules' directory. It would be trivial to write a module loader that accesses the already existing Repository service. If anybody is thinking about a ModuleLoader backed by a Repository, please coordinate with me. The Resource API, that talks about generic caps/reqs is not limited to OSGi. The Repository API is part of Enterprise R5 - I have written the RI which is available in AS8.

> --
> Bill Burke
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat
> http://bill.burkecentral.com