[jboss-as7-dev] Updating a deployment revision

Thomas Diesler thomas.diesler at jboss.com
Wed Mar 20 06:58:39 EDT 2013

Folks,

I'm looking at bundle update and package refresh. In OSGi a bundle can have multiple revisions, only one revision is active at a time. A revision can be "in use" and "removal pending"

A revision can be added by Bundle.update(). The existing wires to a revision are not touched when a new revision is added.  i.e. components that have a wire will continue to use the (old) revision and therefore the (old) class loader until the user explicitly refreshes the transitive graph of effected wirings and establishes a new wiring using the current revisions. If the last user of a revision is removed, a "removal pending" revision is not in use any more - it automatically gets removed too.

I'm trying to map these concepts to what we have in AS8 (what we will need in AS9)

So now the question ….

If deployment A has a dependency on B and B gets replaced with a new version (i.e. deploy --force B) what is supposed to happen?

cheers
--thomas
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Diesler