[jboss-as7-dev] Unit test failure / regression for remoting

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 17:19:18 EDT 2013

Hi All:

We have a few unit tests which interact with the app servers to see if
and when you guys break stuff ;)  And.... we found one.

Tools currently uses the as7.1 jars, which in general communicate quite
nicely with as7.0.x through eap6.1. However, there is a problem. One
specific test fails against eap6.1 (and therefore i assume as7.2). It
has to do with getting the futures from a ModelControllerClient command.
The thread locks up, and nothing can proceed.

I've tried updating our client jars to those in eap6.1, and it also
mostly works... mostly... except the same unit test fails when run
against as7.0.0.

So to summarize,  as7.1.0 jars work 95% correctly against all versions,
but fail when getting futures against eap6.1.  Eap6.1 jars work 95% of
the time, but fail when getting futures against as7.0.0.

Tools needs to have one set of jars in general which work with
everything, if possible. So, the most reasonable solution is to fix the
bug in as7.2 / eap6.1 which fails against as7.0.0 if at all possible.
If it's not possible, well, tools will have to make a decision on
whether to do a costly workaround or remove support for AS 7.0.0 in
eclipse entirely. This would take time to research the extent of the
risk of eclipse locking up all the time, and it might involve expertise
we don't have.

So *I* think, it'd be cool if the bug had someone look at it sometime
EARLY next week, if at all possible ;)

Max is taking a no-holds-barred approach in assigning blame here, and
though he's a smiley-viking, he's a viking nonetheless. I'd tiptoe
around him unless you're willing to help find a solution ;)

Link to bug in question:  https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-6779

Anyway, it'd be really really great if someone could look at this,
because it does have the potential to lock up eclipse, leave stalled
jobs and workers, etc.

Thanks.

- Rob Stryker
I break things, but I didn't break this.