[jboss-cluster-dev] [Fwd: Re: Infinispan in JBoss AS]

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Jul 10 07:08:40 EDT 2009

On 9 Jul 2009, at 17:11, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> The list bounced Jason's post so I'm forwarding it to the list until
> he can join.

I know this should be a separate thread, but isn't building two
separate management mechanisms counter-intuitive?  E.g., I was hoping
JOPR could provide standalone cluster/grid management for Infinispan
as well.  I am in Stuttgart next week to speak at their JUG and am
hoping to catch up with Heiko Rupp to discuss this stuff.

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-126
https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-127

> This involves a lot of rethinking of how we do metadata processing and
> management of that metadata (in particular having management updates
> apply to all nodes). This is a large effort, and will definitely
> suck up
> Brian and Paul's time (in addition to the boot-time and other issues).
> As much as I would love to see infinispan take over, I don't think it
> would be a good idea to run both JBC and infinispan as it would make
> integration  more complex, and IMO lead to user confusion and support
> problems.

+100.  The thought of AS6 shipping with both Infinispan and JBC gives
me the creeps!  :)

> I would much rather see us drop FIELD if Infinispan could not
> handle that use-case.
>
> So, IMO we need to either wait for the JPA/delta framework, or drop
> FIELD.

If need be I can bump up prio on the JPA/fine grained API for
Infinispan (e.g., over the memcached/client-server module) which will
make it quite likely for the end of this (calendar) year.

> In any case I think the starting point is to satisfy the
> hibernate guys with a good second level cache impl. That will
> definitely
> get community usage faster than AS6 integration will.

This is already WIP.  Chris Bredesen volunteered to do it and has a
prototype in place already.  I expect this to be ready when we have
our first GA.