[jboss-cluster-dev] [Fwd: Re: Infinispan in JBoss AS]

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Jul 10 13:04:46 EDT 2009

<SNIP />

> :) It doesn't that much give me the creeps, other than long-term
> maintainability and support issues. We're talking about different
> implementations of an SPI; neither JBC nor Infinispan are first
> class citizens in the AS. Re: maintainability and support, we're
> talking community AS here. I'd have no  problem w/ a JBC-based FIELD
> in an AS 6.0 marked as a deprecated and replace with an Infinispan
> based FINE or something in a 6.1/2.

It was maintenance/backward compat that creeped me out.  But yes, I
suppose you are talking about the community version here. I'd hate to
see a hybrid setup like this sneak its way in to EAP 6.

> Don't get me wrong; I don't *like* such an approach.
>
>>> I would much rather see us drop FIELD if Infinispan could not
>>> handle that use-case.
>>>

> That's an option too. I've been burned before pulling features for a
> while while waiting for the next technology to support them, so I'm
> cautious. But it's an option. I see very little evidence for much
> usage of FIELD.
>
>>> So, IMO we need to either wait for the JPA/delta framework, or drop
>>> FIELD.
>> If need be I can bump up prio on the JPA/fine grained API for
>> Infinispan (e.g., over the memcached/client-server module) which
>> will make it quite likely for the end of this (calendar) year.
>
> TBH, I'd much prefer that Infinispan focuses on what's right for
> standalone Infinispan and not on getting into the AS. AIUI, that was
> the strategy.

Well they both need to happen.  The reason why I prioritised the
client/server module over fine grained repl/JPA is simply that it was
designed earlier and has had more thought in it.

> We shouldn't assume a delta framework in Infinispan gets rid of the
> FIELD web session issue. Right now the AS integration layer for
> FIELD is probably the simplest of the SESSION/ATTRIBUTE/FIELD set
> since it's just a matter of putting objects into PojoCache and
> walking away. That wouldn't be the case with a delta framework,
> since the session management layer would have to coordinate.
>
> Maybe that's no big deal. It's just that I'm not going to promise
> that Paul and I will develop that for AS 6. Jason's spelled out the
> priorities; FIELD isn't one. If higher priorities consume the
> resources, then...
>
>>> In any case I think the starting point is to satisfy the
>>> hibernate guys with a good second level cache impl. That will
>>> definitely
>>> get community usage faster than AS6 integration will.
>> This is already WIP.  Chris Bredesen volunteered to do it and has a
>> prototype in place already.  I expect this to be ready when we have
>> our first GA.
>
> Cool. I know he's been making progress.
>

> Let's step back and question some assumptions -- at least my
> assumptions. ;)
>
> ASSUMPTION: Infinispan needs to replace JBC in AS 6.0.0 or it can't
> until AS 7.0.0.
>
> Is that true? Could the switch happen in whatever 6.x minor release
> we feel comfortable?

Like I said I'm more concerned about EAP since this is where the
support/maintenance/backward-compat issues are going to be.

--
Manik Surtani
manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan