[jboss-cluster-dev] Consistent Hashing in mod_cluster

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Tue Apr 13 05:43:49 EDT 2010

On 9 Apr 2010, at 16:00, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> I'm putting this on the cluster-dev list as there's no reason for it to
> continue in private.
>
> Manik, I agree with your comment about avoiding tight coupling between
> the ISPN hash algorithm and something inside mod_cluster. The approach
> we decided to take was to change the jvmRoute -- see
> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-7853. The Mobicents folks are
> already familiar with that approach since the AS has long done that on
> failover. They've added a browser redirect technique that would even
> avoid the "1 'inefficient' dispatch" issue you noted.
>
> What's different about what Vladimir's raising here is the need to try
> to group sessions together; i.e. use something other than the cache key
> (i.e. jsessionid) as the factor in the hash algorithm. He mentioned a
> use case for multiple users in a chat where the goal would be to cache
> sessions locally with chat state. AIUI there's also a use case where a
> user has a SIP session and an HTTP session, so the goal would be to have
> both session cached together.
>
> Doing that will clearly require quite a bit of AS work -- some pluggable
> policy for determining what the "affinity key" is based on the call
> context (null == use the cache key for hashing). Then use the
> affinityKey can calling into ISPN (i.e. ISPN-359) and when determining
> where to fail over to (JBAS-7853).

I presume you're following the ISPN-359 thread on infinispan-dev...

> This will also be useful for the HTTPSession + SFSB in same request use
> case, where colocating the SFSB and the web session is optimal.

Right.

> I hadn't opened a JIRA for that yet; just tried to but JIRA seems to not
> be working?
>
> Hmm, an issue is if the caches involved in the overall picture (e.g.
> httpsession cache and "chat state" cache) end up using different
> CacheManagers/JGroups Channels. This would quite likely happen (see
> http://community.jboss.org/thread/149868 for discussion why). If that's
> the case, the views between the channels could end up slightly different
> -- e.g. servers A and B are booting at the same time, so due to slight
> differences in the boot, Channel for HTTPSession cache ends up with view
> {A, B} and Channel for "chat state" cache ends up with {B, A}. In that
> case I wouldn't expect there to be a reliable, performant way to ensure
> affinity, since the view is a major factor in the hashing algorithm.

Yes, it would not be useful at all if the 2 components end up with different views.  It would only make sense if the web session cache and the SFSB session cache share the same CacheManager/Channel.

> On 04/09/2010 04:53 AM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>> I made a few comments on the JIRA to respond to your comment; Brian, correct me if I have missed something, but this is pretty much what we spoke about in Brno?  Do you have a JIRA in JBAS for this as well?
>>

>> On 8 Apr 2010, at 19:39, Vladimir Ralev wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, this will work great for us. However, this issue seems to be scoped purely in Infinispan https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-359
>>>
>>> A reciprocal feature is needed in mod_cluster. Would it be possible mod_cluster to use a URI parameter, a cookie as affinity key. AFAIK from mod_jk, it only supports using the jsessionid cookie and uri param (hardcoded). Ultimately we'd like to have it use a customer GET param or cookie for affinity. I couldnt find any doc related to that. Would this be possible?

Manik Surtani
manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan
Lead, JBoss Cache