[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Eclipse IDE (dev)] - Re: WAS: Hibernate Tools not forward compatible with WTP (@h

mculpepper@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Aug 1 14:17:15 EDT 2006

Just read over the thread and the comments in Hibernate JIRA...

To make a "runtime-only" bundle of Hibernate Tools (or any of JBossIDE's components) would be a relatively easy thing to do from the perspective of our build process. The only issue that comes to mind is the "further" confusing of multiple types of downloads... imagine now that we will have:

- Bundle downloads for win32+linux (eclipse+all components plugins/features+dependencies)
- ALL downloads (all components plugins/features+dependencies)
- 8-10 standalone component downloads (component plugins/features + dependencies)
- 8-10 "Runtime" downloads (component plugins/features ONLY)

So basically that pumps up the number of files to the low 20s. If we re-use our download matrix/guide methodology we can probably structure the page in such a way where it isn't as confusing, but for users who are just browsing our sourceforge page they would be SOL =).

Anyway, I'm not saying "no", I think we just need to discuss the best way of going about doing this. This discussion also prompts me to ask another question: Should we rethink the way we are distributing releases? Most eclipse plugins only package themselves as "runtime" plugins, and then maybe have a "Bundle" that includes dependencies, but no where near the level of granularity in component/dependencies that we do. Would users suffer to much if we threw that out the window?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3962259#3962259

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3962259