[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of Messaging on JBoss (Messaging/JBoss)] - Re: Setting up JBoss Messaging integration tests

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 19 16:23:17 EDT 2006

"rachmatowicz at jboss.com" wrote : Dear Messaging

  | I was asked by Ryan to incorporate targets into the JBAS testsuite for running Messaging  against the existing JBossMQ integration tests. I'm running into some problems with this task, and need your advice.
  |
  | So far, I have added a target (not yet committed) to testsuite/build.xml to:
  | (i) create a 'messaging' configuration
  | (ii) start up JBAS with that configuration
  | (iii) run the JBossMQ tests against JBAS
  | (iv) shut down JBAS
  | (v) delete the 'messaging' configuration
  |
  | Setting up the 'messaging' configuration was based largely on mimicking the target release-admin.xml in the Messaging1.0.1 distribution, as well as replacing jboss-remoting.jar, jboss-serialization.jar, jboss-aop.jar and jboss-aspect-library.jar with the modified versions in the deploy directory. Some of the JBossMQ tests are passing without change, so I suspect that the test case execution classpath and configuration I have set up are close to being what they should be.
  |
  | The problem i'm having is that a number of the JBossMQ test cases test implementation-dependent aspects of JBossMQ, which may or may not have a
  | counterpart in Messaging. For example, the test case CleanTopicRemovalTestCase:
  | - creates a topic
  | - publishes a message to the topic
  | - checks the state of the JBossMQ service MessageCache
  | - deletes the topic
  | - checks the state of the JBossMQ service MessageCache
  | - the expected result is that message cache count (after) = message cache count(before) -1
  |
  | In order to produce a similar test case for Messaging, I would really need to know if a counterpart to MessageCache exists in Messaging, and whether that counterpart should exhibit the same behaviour. That question isn't easily answered, without looking in detail at the Messaging implementation and all the classes.

Understood. Probably the best thing here is to ask is specific questions as to whether alternatives exist and we should be able to answer

anonymous wrote :
  | So, i'm really uncertain as to what I should do here. A number of the JBossMQ test cases pass without change. Some fail for fairly simple reasons (e.g. user not defined), and these are easily fixed. Others fail because of implementation dependencies, as in the example I described, and are not so easily fixed.
  |
  | I'd like to ask your advice on this matter - for the short term goal of getting a subset of the integration tests up and running, what is the best approach to deciding which tests should be modified and retained and which discarded?

Best approach is probably to ask us and we should be able to answer :)

anonymous wrote :

  | On an unrelated point, the test cases will need to be modified (e.g. instances of object names changed from jboss.mq:service=DestinationManager to  jboss.messaging:service=ServicePeer, for example). Should I create a new directory under testsuite/src/main/org/jboss/test, say messaging, to contain the new copies of the tests?
  |
  | Richard

Sounds like a good idea. We don't want to touch the MQ tests in any way.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3959322#3959322

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3959322