[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Remoting, Unified Invokers] - Have remoting support a non invocation based model

timfox do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Sep 12 18:22:35 EDT 2006

Hi Tom et al

As we move further ahead with JBoss Messaging, we're going to need to provide a non blocking approach to processing requests on the server.

I.e. on the server side:

Read some data (non blocking) from the socket and pass it to JBM to process it.

Some time later (if the request requires a response) and probably on a different thread then JBM needs to write some data onto the socket.

The reads and writes need to be decoupled, so we can provide SEDA or related style processing models.

Currently, remoting seems to exclusively work with a blocking, invocation based model.

What I mean by this is that a thread blocks until the request arrives, the request is executed and a response is written back, all using the same thread. So the read and write is coupled - (this is the "invocation")

Similarly on the client side, for many of our use cases we simply want to write to the socket and return immediately - we do not want to send an "invocation" and wait for a response.

The current remoting model client model does not seem to support this.

I believe the request to extend the Client API to support an asynchronous send has already been logged with a JIRA task.

In order to provide the desired server side functionality, I guess we would need the remoting API to be extended so that we can write onto the socket, decoupled from the invocation.

Also we would need to provide an invocation type that didn't write a response back onto the socket.

Wdyt?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3971136#3971136

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3971136