[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Remoting, Unified Invokers] - Fully asynchronous invocation

david.lloyd@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 5 15:09:42 EDT 2007

In my wiki article, I talked about using a Future to represent the future result of an invocation in the event of a non-blocking request-reply invocation.  One limitation of Future is that it doesn't provide any means to call a callback when the operation completes - you must poll the Future.  So instead of returning a Future, the asynchronous request method should return a subinterface of Future (which I have called FutureReply) that also has a setCompletionNotifier(handler) method, which calls the given handler when the request completes.

This way, a single interface lets you invoke in three different ways: blocking, non-blocking with polling, and non-blocking with asynchronous callback.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4060988#4060988

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4060988