[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Remoting, Unified Invokers] - JBREM-433 - Point-to-multipoint, JGroups

david.lloyd@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 5 17:43:34 EDT 2007

The question is - how can we provide a point-to-multipoint request-reply mechanism.

I guess the easy answer is JBREM-48 - just have a JGroups transport.  I think that there could be a couple more types of session:

* point-to-point - single connection; request-respone (definitely reliable) and oneway (probably reliable) allowed
* point-to-multipoint - oneway only, possibly unreliable (simple protocols like UDP+Multicast or UDP+Broadcast)
* point-to-group - something like JGroups, where you allow request-response with some kind of response aggregation (like a Map of node-IDs to Reply messages [guess this means that Remoting needs to have a concept of an endpoint identifier - and no, I do no think that it should be the connection URI because there won't be a 1:1 correspondance there])

We should provide an SPI thing for all these types, but I don't think it's worth the effort to reinvent what JGroups already has, so the last should be confined to a JGroups transport unless someone contributes something awesome.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4061049#4061049

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4061049