[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss ESB] - Re: Uniquely identifying services and actions

mark.little@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jul 10 09:18:15 EDT 2007

"burrsutter" wrote : Actions vs Services for naming...

  | From the user's perspective Actions are not unique since they can be reused from service to service by wiring in via the jboss-esb.xml.

Yes, but within a deployment, the combination of esb instance, service name, action name and action instance name will be unique.

anonymous wrote :
  | EPRs are "invisible" to the end-user (the developer/admin using the JBoss ESB).
  |
  | Kurt said a "service instance" are unique, can have multiple per EPR and you can have multiple EPRs per registered service.  So that is a little bit hard to grok but might be the closest suggestion to solving the problem.
  |
  | Our administrator's goal is to handle a few basic situations:
  | - What things are running? (what is this unique thing we are trying to describe)

That's definitely a service, but our services model is based on action chaining. Which is why I think TomC was interested in also monitoring and reporting on Actions. Developers do see Actions ;-)

anonymous wrote :
  | - What things are not running (or are generally unhappy)?

That's services, but as a user with services that have N actions, I'd like to have information on those individual actions. Finer grained.

anonymous wrote :
  | - What do I do to go fix the thing? Hence having the .esb name and access to the jboss-esb.xml that configured the offending "thing" is very important (relates to Tom F's suggestion).

Agreed.

anonymous wrote :
  | The "thing" (from a user's perspective) is a "service", not an "action", not an "esb archive", not an "EPR" (never seen an EPR).

It's a service that contains Actions that we may like to see reports on.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4062426#4062426

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4062426