[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Transaction Services] - Re: Listen address of JBossTS ports not configurable

mark.little@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jul 13 05:08:02 EDT 2007

"huuskart" wrote : See JBTM-253.

  | JBossTS opens a bunch of network ports (three, I think, but debug output only mentions two) it listens on, but JBossTS does not give me the option to specify at which address it listens for connections.

Correct. These are for the per-node recovery manager.

anonymous wrote :
  | As such, this is not a bug or error. However, standard practice in practically every single network listening software is to give the option for the administrator to specify at which address the software listens on. JBoss AS also gives this option, it even has a global system property jboss.bind.address, and every single service except JBossTS can be separately configured to listen on a particular address, and by default the services usually are configured to listen on ${jboss.bind.address}.
  |
  | I want to see JBossTS also support this.
  |
  | My ultimate reason for this is simply the fact that I hate to have services listening globally on ports they have no business or need listening on. Of course my servers are firewalled, so there's no problem of getting rogue connections, but even so, if I'm running a simple single JBoss AS instance, nothing will ever need to connect to JBossTS services from outside of the localhost, then I want to configure JBossTS so that it listens only on localhost.

Presumably you'd want this capability even if you were running JBossTS stand-alone, i.e., outside of JBossAS? If that's the case, any way we attempt to address this should work with the JBossAS approach, but not be dependant on it.

anonymous wrote :
  | But really, for complex installations there may be even real reasons why this needs to be configured. The server could have multiple IP addresses, run several JBoss instances, and would need to configure JBossTS in each instance to listen on different IP.

Agreed. However, we need to be careful about giving too many configuration options in this area or crash recovery could be impacted to the point of not working.

anonymous wrote :
  | From another point of view, I could ask that if JBossTS does not need to support this configuration option, why would any service in JBoss support it, and why does JBossTS support configuring even the port at all, if listen address configuration need not be supported (these two really always go hand in hand).

I think we should support this. The reason we don't is because JBossTS pre-dates JBossAS development by many years and also virtual hosting/multiple IP addresses per machine as a typical state of affairs. It may well be that what you're after is still not that widely needed, because yours is the first suggestion around this and TS has been pretty widely deployed. However, that doesn't negate the need for it.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4063858#4063858

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4063858