[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Build System] - Re: jboss-head build testsuite action plan

bill.burke@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Jul 13 12:50:00 EDT 2007

Maybe a freeze is better than a rollback?  Not even necessarily a real SVN freeze.  What we do when we see a regression is send an email saying we're freezing, no commits.  We look at Hudson, or wherever on who committed what and get them to fix their stuff.

Here are my thoughts that I posted on a different forum by mistake:

1. Freeze trunk
2. Generate JIRA tasks for each failing test in EJB3 and testsuite module (and any other module that has a testsuite in AS trunk.
3. Disable all failing tests
4. Unfreeze trunk.

5. Nightly build runs
6. If it is not successful, then freeze trunk until regressions are fixed
7. If successful tag and increment build number

The TCK should be a part of the regression process. If it regresses, we should freeze as well. I dont' know how feasible this is given TCK takes what, 10 hours to run?

I've seen this process work well at other companies (one of them a middleware company!). One thing that makes this process work is for developers to work in their own branch off of trunk. This allows them to commit and share work with others, without breaking or regressing trunk. Since we are on SVN now, this should be much much easier to do.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4064083#4064083

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4064083