[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Remoting, Unified Invokers] - Transport Use Cases

david.lloyd@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jul 17 17:14:11 EDT 2007

Right now there are a set of socket-based transports (including bisocket, multiplex, and socket, and encrypted variants), RMI, and a few HTTP-based transports.

There are a few other transports that are on the table - JGroups, SSH.  Also, I've seen some informal requests go by for much more esoteric transport mechanisms - like FTP, email, and that sort of thing.

Is there a use case for these transports?  Honestly I can't see why someone would use RMI (or the other socket transports) if there was a single socket transport that provided authentication, (possibly keyless) encryption, bidirectional communication, asynch request/replies, and multiplexing multiple requests or sessions on the same connection.

HTTP seems useful in the case where a firewall prevents regular socket communication.  Apart from that, it would probably be inferior (performancewise) to a single socket as described above.

I'm not sure of the utility of a JGroups transport - certainly it could be done, but would this add any value over what JGroups does today?

As for the other transports - FTP, email, etc. - are these truly appropriate to Remoting?  Perhaps those types of transports are more suited towards a SOAP-like approach?  If they really are wanted, then JIRA issues should be opened for each transport, along with a sketch of requirements and a use case.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4065169#4065169

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4065169