[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss Remoting, Unified Invokers] - Why bother with APR?

david.lloyd@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 25 09:59:20 EDT 2007

I've been having an email discussion with various parties about NIO versus APR.  I'm thinking specifically in terms of Remoting, but I think that the discussion can be more generally applied.

What I want to know is, why we should bother (with a modern JVM) to use APR when NIO is standard and built in.  Specifically, I have not found any published benchmarks about the subject, except for that published by Jean-Francois Arcand here:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jfarcand/archive/2006/03/can_a_grizzly_r.html

His findings seem to be that NIO performs as well as APR in Coyote, if not better.  Are there any counter-benchmarks out there?  Google didn't seem to turn up anything relevant.  And, how big a margin is needed before it becomes worth it to use APR?

Personally I feel it would be far more productive, not to mention better for the community, to put our efforts towards working with the EG to improve NIO, if it is deficient in some way.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4067405#4067405

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4067405