[jboss-dev-forums] [Design the new POJO MicroContainer] - Re: JBMICROCONT-181 & ManagedDeployments

adrian@jboss.org do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 25 16:29:35 EDT 2007

Let me give you a more complicated example. So you can see more clearly
what I'm talking about and where I was heading (although not all of it was planned
for JBoss-5.0.0 :-)

The example is transaction attributes on ejbs.
There's aren't configured in a very nice way (unless you use annotations).
You don't configure them directly on the ejb, you configure them in a seperate
section of ejb-jar.xml (that's because some of them can be wildcards).

I would expect the EJB managed object to have
a managed object that represents its business interface. It would really be a
collection of methods and part of it would be the transaction attribute.

The business interface managed object would also have a seperate
managed object to represent the "*" method (the wildcard).

These would know how to put the config changes back into the transaction assembly
part of the xml (assuming you wanted to get ejb-jar.xml back again).

Eventually I would expect us to add features to make this management
easier and more transparent:
(These are a lot more complicated ManagedObjects and I wasn't planning
on implementing these features in the initial release.)

1) The metadata knows whether "*" applies to its specific method.
But there should be some way to say it is actually using the "*" managed object
and linked to where it is really defined.

2) The "*" metadata should be able to know where it applies and show
what methods will change if it changes. Again these are links.

3) It should be possible to create alternate views of this information
(again ManagedObjects within the top level managed object that is really
just linking). e.g. a view that looks like the transaction-assembly and a view
that has it all unwrapped, i.e. one method - one attribute

Of course, this has all got to be described in a generic way such
that an admin console can understand it and present it to the user.

e.g. The view managed objects in (3) would have to be marked in some way
and probably assigned a "view group" so the admin console and
user knows what the alternate views are.

e.g.2 The links described above would need to be marked so it is obvious to the
console/user that the information shown (for convience) is actually coming
from somewhere else and they can navigate to where it is really defined.

As you can see, my view of a ManagedObject is not a simple one.
It represents a piece of metadata (not necessarily the whole metadata)
that knows where it fits in the whole model.
It also may not be the only ManagedObject presenting that piece of metadata.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4067598#4067598

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4067598