[jboss-dev-forums] [Design the new POJO MicroContainer] - Re: JBMICROCONT-181 & ManagedDeployments

adrian@jboss.org do-not-reply at jboss.com
Thu Jul 26 12:47:25 EDT 2007

"charles.crouch at jboss.com" wrote :
  | -1
  | Tests for the management view of a component should be included in the testsuite and run as part of the build. The management view of a component should be considered as part of its public API. If it changes in an incompatible way, then tests should fail and dependent clients need to be updated.
  |
  | Thanks

That policy (if I understand it correctly) will never scale and I won't subscribe to it.

If such a policy were implemented developers would simply take the easy approach
and never change the managed object view when their features evolve leaving
the admin console and profile service both out-dated and potentially incorrect.

It's hard enough getting people to keep dtds, schemas, WIKI/docs up-to-date.

If they can't innvocate around the management views they provide they'll simply ignore it.

However, at a different level I agree with you.

Obviously the underlying metdata model should not change
in an incompatible way otherwise profiles from one version won't load
in a later version. Similarly it should be possible to take profiles edited in
a later version and load them in earlier versions (provided the user
has deliberately not used a feature from the later version).

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4067923#4067923

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4067923