[jboss-dev-forums] [Design of JBoss ESB] - Re: Providers vs. Listeners and Configuration

tfennelly do-not-reply at jboss.com
Tue Jul 31 11:01:38 EDT 2007

"bsheward" wrote : Can anyone summarize what is the difference between a provider and a listener? Am I right thinking that providers are global with the ESB, whereas listeners are "local" to a service, and tie the provider with the service?

Yep, that's the basic idea.  Listeners listen for messages provided by a bus.  There's more on this in the configuration section of the programmers guide.

"bsheward" wrote : Why would a particular configuration exist in one, but not the other? For example, In SQL, the provider seems to define the sql-message-filter, and the listener defines the number of threads. Why not the other way around?

You're dead right there.  Some of the listener configurations are a bit messed up.  I've actually logged JIRA issues for this and I think the SQL based configs were in that.

"bsheward" wrote : Finally, why are some configuration properties defined using  and others are attributes of the <xxx-listener> element? For example, I define my poll-frequency-seconds in <fs-listener>, but need to define my composer-class and composer-process in a .

Not sure about the poll-frequency-seconds and composer-class properties not being attributes (revert to your previous comment), but I can guess that the "composer-process" one was left as a property simply because it was considered to be a bad idea for the same reasons you outlined at the top i.e. that composition should be done based on an interface and therefore no need to define process methods.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4069205#4069205

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4069205