[jboss-dev-forums] [JBoss AS7 Development] - Thoughts on filesystem action driven hot deployment

Jason Greene do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 1 09:29:34 EDT 2010

Jason Greene [http://community.jboss.org/people/jason.greene%40jboss.com] replied to the discussion

"Thoughts on filesystem action driven hot deployment"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/560037#560037

> Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>
> > David Lloyd wrote:

> > > If the cost of deep copying and keeping in synch the exploded archive is not that high, that would solve the undeploy problems. Although I would personally leave the option to the user whether to disable deep copy of deployments, either globally (system property) or per deployment (e.g. META-INF/jboss-no-deep-copy).
> >
> > Actually this doesn't really solve the problem at all.  Say you start deleting your deployment.  At what point does the scanner decide that you're not updating your deployment by removing files, you're actually deleting it?  The same problem basically exists except now you have the additional complication of having to detect and sync up changes.  My opinion remains: using delete to signal undeploy should not be done, especially for exploded deployments.
> >
> > Thus, I don't see any reason to copy exploded deployments.  I just don't think it buys us anything.
> I meant it would solve the problem of missing classes/resources during undeployment.
>
> In any case, I don't think you should worry too much about the timing related problems of deploying/undeploying exploded deployments. We have this problem for ever and yet very few complaint because they understand the limitations of the mechanism and how to deal with it. So IMO simplicity (copy/delete) wins over correctness since the main use case for altering exploded deployments is development mode.

The whole problem is the past approach doesnt work *+AT ALL.+ How do you trigger a redeploy of an exploded directory in a servlet 3.0 application that has no web.xml? So no matter what we do it will be different.*

Start a new discussion in JBoss AS7 Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2225]