[jboss-dev-forums] [JBoss AS7 Development] - Best way to initialize environment on deployment / startup?

rushead do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Jul 20 04:17:56 EDT 2011

rushead [http://community.jboss.org/people/rushead] created the discussion

"Best way to initialize environment on deployment / startup?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/616310#616310

I am trying to port my war file from JBoss AS 5.1 to JBoss AS 7.
To provide a correct resource management I have to initialize my specific environment when the war file is deployed, before the Servlets are instantiated.
I already tried 2 ways:
1. Implementation of the environment initialization in a ServletContextListener*  The #contextInitialized is called when all Servlet are instantiated --> little too late...

2. Implementation of the environment initialization in another Servlet (in #init), use "<load-on-startup>"* The implemented servlet is always initialized after the normal Servlet (<load-on-startup> is ignored?!)
* The only difference between the two servlets is that the StartupServlet is implementing Servlet the "old" way and the real Servlet is using JaxWS (@WebService)

And now my questions:
* Why is the ServletContextListener called when all Servlets are instantiated?
* Why is "<load-on-startup>" ignored when the implementation differ only in the WS implementation?
* Last but not least: What is the best and usual way to initialize a custom environment for several servlets in a war file?* The initialization / startup servlet should run on Tomcat also if possible...

Start a new discussion in JBoss AS7 Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2225]