No brew in the open source project, WAS Re: [jboss-dev] latest jboss messaging/remoting

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 08:24:56 EST 2007

Ryan Campbell wrote:
> My understanding is that brew builds are from the same source, but just
> in a controlled, reproducible environment, rather than some random
> developer's laptop.
>
> Perhaps we need a readme-brew.txt somewhere which explains why we have
> these special versions, what they give us, and the process for creating
> or requesting new ones?  Dimitris, what are your thoughts?

My view is that .org projects must be build-able from source by anyone, so we shouldn't
really need "brew" builds for .org projects.

Due to resource issues though we have taken some shortcuts, like builds that appear only in
brew form, or using CP releases in the .org branches. I think this needs to be cleaned up,
not necessarily immediately.

So far, I didn't really see this as a problem, since the brew builds were based on public
tags, so in that sense, a brew build is not much different from any other build, anyone can
reproduce it.

But then you can see tags like 'jboss-messaging-1_4_0-1_SP1_0jpp_ep1_1' in messaging:
https://svn.jboss.org/repos/repository.jboss.org/jboss/messaging/1.4.0.SP1-brew/component-info.xml

This one does not correspond to a public one, although I suppose it's really this:
http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/messaging/tags/JBossMessaging_1_4_0_SP1/

Now, about the sources dir, that was actually an extra thing for the 'brewed' builds, more
like an internal implementation detail. It's the responsibility of whoever creates a release
to include the sources in the proper form in the  right location. We just have to clearly
state what the expectation is, so that all the projects can conform to it. So far the
consensus has been to include for every lib/x.jar a corresponding lib/x-sources.jar.

One thing we must not forget here, is that the introduction of the controlled builds with
brew has improved the overall quality of AS as it forced us to track sources and uncover
problems with thirdparty libraries who's binaries could not be reproduced (unknown tags,
wrong tags, etc.)