[jboss-dev] My logging ultimatum

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 13:38:46 EST 2007

David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:03:41 -0500
> "Jason T. Greene" <jason.greene at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> The jboss-common-logging project has a JDK appender with essentially the
>> same feature set as log4j. I myself added support for MDC and NDC awhile
>> back. So any jboss project which uses jboss-common-logging, supports
>> both JDK and log4j logging.
>
> But you've missed the point Jason - if for example, I use jboss common
> logging, now my project would require *three* JARs just for logging
> (MINA uses slf4j,

You don't need a dependency on it. You can just use the JDK api if you
choose. My point was that it provides an appender.

As to API, anything that uses the log4j API can be easily rewritten to
use the jboss logging api instead, in which case the number of
dependencies remains the same.

--
Jason T. Greene