[jboss-dev] New integration project

Adrian abrock at redhat.com
Wed Jul 4 09:38:54 EDT 2007

NEW INTEGRATION PROJECT

I promised to do this earlier this year, but now I've finally
got around to doing it :-(

The project is available here:
https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/integration/
or anonymous when the mirroring catches up
http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/integration/

WHAT IT IS

The idea of the integration project is that it should define
what projects need from "the platform" in order to work
(beyond the standard api defined in the javaee project).

That is, it is a set of interfaces and utility classes.

WHAT IT ISN'T

It is NOT the implementation of that integration which belongs
in JBossAS or alternatively some implementation of
those interfaces for Tomcat, etc.

AIM

Ideally, projects should only depend upon this spi
and not on other projects or jboss.jar, etc.

I'd encourage all projects to define a spi here
and if you consume another project by "doing your own integration",
shout loadly to get a proper spi defined in this project.

But, the point is NOT to just move your interfaces
and factories into this project. It is important that
the SPI defined here should be re-implementable
using other implementations.

e.g. A proper JNDI binding SPI would NOT be
org.jboss.naming.Util
since that makes assumptions that are only really true
inside JBoss.

INITIAL CHECKIN

Initially, I've just moved the transaction spi to this project.
Even with that, there's obviously more work to do to remove
the assumptions of JNDI access to get certain elements,
but these are implementation details that can be fixed later.

Additionally, the UserTransaction needs some work,
e.g. this post in the EJB3 forum:
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=112397

NEXT

Next is to reslove this issue:
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBMICROCONT-31
for AOP (and others) to use before I swap out the
UnifiedClassLoader for the VFSClassLoader.
--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock