[jboss-dev] slf4j

Rémy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:32:40 EDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Yes, and it lacks any kind of diagnostic context support.  Sure, I know I
> could build it on top of whatever log framework I end up using; but then I am
> writing a logging framework myself...

This thread local functionality can usually be built up very easily:
you need a custom formatter of some sort for the logging messages (all
logging frameworks allow this kind of stuff AFAIK), and a few calls to
set the thread local fields. There's no need to implement a whole
logging framework ;)

In JBoss, the reliability problems are hidden thanks to the
classloading strategy, but in a more conventional hierarchy (like in
Tomcat), it breaks very easily.

> Yes, I know Ceki writes slf4j.  I had a dialog with him about adding this MDC
> support.
>
> Have you seen cases of slf4j usage in Tomcat?

The default Tomcat configuration uses common-logging with
java.util.logging configured with a custom LogManager I wrote
(otherwise, JUL is totally useless in a container environment).

Rémy