[jboss-dev] Re: slf4j

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 05:42:40 EDT 2007

>> MDC).  That means I can move to log4j, slf4j, or logback.  Out of those,
>> slf4j seemed the most reasonable in terms of allowing easy integration
>> with
>> various environemtns.
>
> As I said a couple messages above, java.util.logging is more robust,
> and allows formatters which could use thread local variables (I find
> this habit of using hypish names to refer to simple pre-existing
> things to be very annoying).
>
> You don't really seem to be interested in our opinion overall, and
> seem to be willing to use slf4j anyway, so I'm not sure what's the
> point of posting here.
>
> Rémy

Eh - Steve very clearly explained why jul is is not an option; it does
not have NDC/MDC.

And if you mean the "robust"'nes is just about "it's always available
because it's in the jdk" - then why don't we purely use the jdk's
reflection api ? jdk's xml apis ? jdk's dateformatters ?

I can tell you why - because

1) it does not have the feature we need/want
2) it has bugs, and we can't fix bugs in it (in a timely manner)
3) it's not as efficient

so back to the question which still haven't been answered:

Anyone knows of any issue with slf4j with respect to integration ?

As we see it, it will/should work fine. Let us know if you know
of any known integration issues.

Thanks,
/max