[jboss-dev] Re: New integration project

Jonathan Halliday jonathan.halliday at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 08:29:22 EDT 2007

Adrian wrote:

> The idea of the integration project is that it should define
> what projects need from "the platform" in order to work
> (beyond the standard api defined in the javaee project).
> Ideally, projects should only depend upon this spi
> and not on other projects or jboss.jar, etc.

Great idea and IMO long overdue. Thanks for getting this
started Adrian.

> Initially, I've just moved the transaction spi to this project.

It looks like JBossTS is the chosen integration guinea pig
then :-)  Right now building the JBossAS/JBossTS integration
module (considered part of the JBossTS project and a 3rd
party component of the AS) still requires referencing AS
.jars for the following in addition to the new integration
SPI.

org.jboss.iiop.CorbaORBService;
org.jboss.jmx.adaptor.rmi.RMIAdaptor;
org.jboss.logging.Logger;
org.jboss.mx.util.ObjectNameFactory;
org.jboss.system.server.Server;
org.jboss.system.ServiceMBeanSupport;
org.jboss.util.NestedRuntimeException;
org.jboss.util.UnexpectedThrowable;

which may serve to indicate some other areas where we could
do with defined SPIs.

How are the new SPIs going to be versioned and will AS
branch 4.2 adopt them? I'd like to be able to keep a common
JBossTS binary for use with both AS 4.2 and AS 5.0.

Also, what level of commitment do we have to maintaining
these SPIs stability in the long term? Could they end up
stifling us with backwards compatibility limitations?

Jonathan.