[jboss-dev] Removing DeploymentInfo

Adrian abrock at redhat.com
Tue Jul 10 07:52:51 EDT 2007

Since DeploymentInfo is not maintained anymore
(and it is impossible to write a bridge for it since
most of this was just public fields rather than an
interface with methods), we should just remove this
altogether in JBoss5.

I had a look at doing this. Obviously this
requires removing all the old deployers
and the related infrastructure.

Some places still referenced the DeploymentInfo
although it has been deprecated or stubbed out,
I don't think deprecation is really the sensible
thing to do for something that is broken. :-)

I found the following major problems
(in no particular order):

1) Testsuite
There are a number of tests still referencing
this api.

2) FARM Service
The farm service is still implemented on top
of the old URLDeploymentScanner

3) EjbUtil for EJB2.1 has had
its methods cloned to accept either
DeploymentInfo or DeploymentUnit,
but some of the new DeploymentUnit
methods still reference the
DeploymentInfo api.

4) JNDIView uses a DeploymentInfo api
of the WebServer to get at the
war deployment encs.

5) There's a method on the old ServiceController
to get at the DeploymentInfo for an MBean

6) EJB3 uses it in the "JMX Abstraction"
which looks like integration code for JBoss-4.x
that shouldn't be in JBoss5?

7) The Hibernate JMX MBean uses the
DeploymentInfo to get a list of URLs
for scanning

8) Much of the current JSR77 infrastructure
is based on the DeploymentInfo

9) There are some deployers that have not
been converted, e.g. the FoeDeployer
and the BeanShellDeployer in varia

10) The DeploymentManagerService is using
the DeploymentInfo to get a list of
"associated MBeans".
--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx