[jboss-dev] jboss i18n and localization (l10n)

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Jul 27 08:56:07 EDT 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 03:57:14 am Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> > For (1), the translation process, in the Open Source world a lot of
>
> what opensource world is that ? :)
LOL

> In Java I know of two major ways:
>
> The built in java method of localization (java ResourceBundles defaults
> to use properties, one project I know of using that is Hibernate Search)
>
> The other is the way used in e.g. eclipse which uses the (some say
> technically better) i18n library developed by IBM which I unfortunately
> can't remember the name of now.
>
> > (2) would then require using Gettext in the Java modules that require
> > translations and marking the strings to be translated appropriately so
> > that they can be extracted automatically for translation.
>
> what is Gettext?Xliff?
These are things the doc team keep mentioning to me.  They are meant for full
blown translations as in docs.  They seem total overkill for this, especially
the PO stuff.  Java internationalization (no idea about this IBM stuff) is
based on already externalized strings kept in a file separate from the code
for easy translation.