[jboss-dev] jboss i18n and localization (l10n)

Mark Little mlittle at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 05:34:02 EDT 2007

There are a couple of approaches that we are currently using in some
projects for I18N/L10N compliance (and one of them is documented in
the developer's guide):

(i) JBossTS uses the I18N/L10N framework developed by HP in 2000 to
do automatic generation of resource bundles and logging within the
code you use them. Although we only have English RBs at the moment,
in the past we've had over a dozen different translations.

(ii) David Ward has been working on a new project for
internationalization that uses some of the ideas in (i), but is more
of a superset approach. Sacha asked me to work with David on
requirements and useability (amongst other things) with a view to
developing something that all of our projects can use. It's a slow
process, given other factors.

Take a look at (i) (it's all in public svn) and talk to David.

Mark.

On 27 Jul 2007, at 09:49, Jens Petersen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask about and start some discussion about
> localization (translation) of JBoss projects.
>
> I think there is going to be an increasing need for localization of
> JBoss projects, so probably it is a good time to start thinking
> about how to do internationalization of projects in a way that is
> optimal for developers, translators and users.  I think there are
> two sides to this: (1) the process of getting translations done and
> integrated into svn and releases and (2) the java library used to
> substitute the translations at runtime.
>
> For (1), the translation process, in the Open Source world a lot of
> translation is done using .po files.  First the strings that need
> to be translated are extracted from the source using xgettext to
> generate a so-called POT file, which is the skeleton used to
> generate the .po files for each language that is to be translated.
> Finally the translated .po files are committed in the version
> control system along with the ResourceBundles generated from them.
>
> (2) would then require using Gettext in the Java modules that
> require translations and marking the strings to be translated
> appropriately so that they can be extracted automatically for
> translation.
>
> That is a brief sketch of how would could use Gettext to handle the
> translations.  It might also be possible to use XLiff later to
> generate the ResourceBundles for translations directly.
>
> How does that idea sound?
> Ideas, comments, other suggestions and feedback are most welcome.
>
> Jens Petersen
> Internationalization Team
> Red Hat

----

Mark Little
mlittle at redhat.com

JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
Street, Windsor, Berkshire,
SI4 1TE, United Kingdom.
Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Charlie Peters (USA) and David
Owens (Ireland)