[jboss-dev] Hostname problem when starting JB AS TRUNK

Ron Sigal ron.sigal at jboss.com
Sat Oct 13 02:43:51 EDT 2007

Sorry, I wasn't following this thread.  Mostly, I'm going to plead
ignorance - I've never touched JBoss jmx-remoting.  However, Jason seems
to be on the right track.  The line numbers in Tim's stack trace don't
match the JBoss implementation of javax.management.remote.JMXServiceURL.

-Ron

Jason T. Greene wrote:
> OK, I just verified and this is explicitly disallowed in the JDK
> version of JMXSerivceURL (IMO a bug). It is however allowed in URL.
>
> The JBoss implementation of JMXServiceURL does allow it, so the
> problem is that it is not in endorsed libs.
>
> -Jason
>
> Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> No escaping should be needed. The JDK allows underscores in
>> hostnames. In reality there is nothing wrong with them, they just
>> aren't allowed in DNS.
>>
>> Tim Fox wrote:

>>> AFAICT the string is just a JMX service name, it doesn't *have to*
>>> contain the actual hostname AFAICT:
>>>
>>> String serviceURL = "service:jmx:rmi://" + bindAddress +
>>> "/jndi/rmi://" + bindAddress + ":" + registryPort + jndiPath;
>>>
>>> So should be to escape it before passing it to the JDK code.
>>>
>>> Maybe someone from the remoting team should comment, since this is
>>> remoting code...

JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
"My company's smarter than your company."