[jboss-dev] Hostname problem when starting JB AS TRUNK

Tim Fox tim.fox at jboss.com
Sat Oct 13 08:49:17 EDT 2007

Ron Sigal wrote:
> Sorry, I wasn't following this thread.  Mostly, I'm going to plead
> ignorance - I've never touched JBoss jmx-remoting.  However, Jason
> seems to be on the right track.  The line numbers in Tim's stack trace
> don't match the JBoss implementation of
> javax.management.remote.JMXServiceURL.
Other possibilities could be to use an ip address rather than hostname,
or switch to a less restrictive implementation of the classes. I'm not
familiar enough with this area to know what is the best approach, but
the fact of the matter is that JBAS 4.x starts up fine with a hostname
with underscores and JBAS 5 doesn't.

> -Ron
>
> Jason T. Greene wrote:
>> OK, I just verified and this is explicitly disallowed in the JDK
>> version of JMXSerivceURL (IMO a bug). It is however allowed in URL.
>>
>> The JBoss implementation of JMXServiceURL does allow it, so the
>> problem is that it is not in endorsed libs.
>>
>> -Jason
>>
>> Jason T. Greene wrote:
>>> No escaping should be needed. The JDK allows underscores in
>>> hostnames. In reality there is nothing wrong with them, they just
>>> aren't allowed in DNS.

> JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
> "My company's smarter than your company."

Tim Fox
Messaging lead
JBoss - a division of Red Hat