[jboss-dev] AS5.x, AS6 roadmaps

Scott Stark sstark at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 12:42:26 EST 2008

We need to finalize the 3 month road map for AS5.x and its relation to
AS6. The current discussions have been around embedded and EE6 type
profiles and that we should focus on incorporating AS6 elements in the
next AS5.x release that improve the following areas:

* Unit Test Capabilities.  The ability to embed JBoss inside unit tests
so that they can be run with no special plugins within an IDE, vanilla
maven testsuite, vanilla ant testsuite.
* Maven JBoss Plugin.  You can define a configuration or override the
default.  Basically making it nice and easy to use for maven people.
* Bundling of embedded jopr for the management console
* Get on-demand working for as many services as possible
* Optimize boot time (JBoss 5 boots much slower than JBoss 4.2)
* Deprecate and prune components and move them to a deprecated folder so
that they don't boot up with default config. (Web Console, JMX-Console,
Scheduler, EJB 2.x)
* Clean up service dependencies so its easier to add/remove components
and subsystems.  This is related to on-demand as well.
* Define proper packaging of services so that dependencies and isolation
of implementation details exist.
* Profile service supporting subprofiles and proper repository
abstraction to allow for simple requirements descriptions of services in
a profile driving the post MC bootstrap loading of services.