[jboss-dev] hibernate 3.3.0 upgrade, slf4j introduction into jbossas

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue May 6 10:01:02 EDT 2008

I seem to recall that I would also need some common jar...  Comments?

Also, another thought on this...  I understand that jboss-logging
*can* bridge through log4j or jul (or others?).  Within AS
deployments, though, how common is it to actually use something other
than log4j?  If not common, then a simple option is to just include
slf4j-api and slf4j-log4j12; thats all you would need to do to get
slf4j to bridge through log4j: presumably/hopefully using the same
LoggerRepository jboss-logging as init'ed.

On May 5, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> Doesn't jboss-logging rely on other jboss jars though?
>
> On May 5, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Ales Justin wrote:
>
>>> In slf4j, binding to log4j as the logging backend, one simply
>>> includes an additional jar (slf4j-log4j) and your done;
>>
>> What is the content of this jar?
>> We might do something similar slf4j --> jboss-logging --> jdk|log4j.
>>
>>> I have no clue how jboss-logging works, how it is configured, how
>>> it plays in environments other than JBoss AS.
>>
>> In AS you have conf/jboss-log4j.xml, which 'controls' all logging
>> inside AS env.
>> In other envs it depends.
>> e.g. standalone usage of jboss-logging + log4j --> put all 3 (jboss-
>> logging-spi, jboss-logging-log4j, log4j) artifacts on classpath +
>> log4j.properties and you're done. You code against jboss-logging-
>> spi, but that picks up jboss-logging-log4j at init, which inits
>> log4j, which is what gets used as the real impl.
>>
>> If you could look into slf4j-log4j, and see if we can write slf4j-
>> jbosslogging, that would be great.
>> I can help you with any questions, or we can hack that together -
>> after I find some time off from Emmanuel's jsr303. :-)

> Steve Ebersole
>
> Project Lead
> http://hibernate.org
> steve at hibernate.org